CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON SHARED MOBILITY DEVICE PERMITTING
PLAN SUBMITTAL PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS
Road Encroachment Permits are required pursuant to County Ordinance 1491 for all secondary uses of County roads in order to protect and preserve the primary purpose and use of such roads which is hereby declared to be travel by the public. To obtain a Road Encroachment Permit submit a completed application which will set in motion the following procedure.
Step One - Initial Submittal of Application
- Complete the application form. Describe specifically the type of work being performed in the County's Right of Way.
- Prepare four (4) sets of plans no larger than 24" x 36", describing the proposed encroachment plus
an electronic version for all multiple page plans. One set of plans is
acceptable without an electronic version for smaller projects if the
required information can be shown on an 11" x 17" sheet of paper. The plans must include the following information:
- The private property line, County Road Right-of-Way line, dimensions of pavement and sidewalk, dimensions of the encroachment from the edge of pavement and centerline, and back edge of sidewalk (if any).
- The address/location of the encroachment, a North arrow, and scale (not smaller than 1" = 20').
- Location of all existing facilities and landscaping located in County Road Right-of-Way (e.g. mail boxes, walls, fences, trees, utility poles/vaults/boxes, drainage facilities, and hardscape). If excavation is involved, show the trench details including depth, width, and length. Show typical section, dimension and setback from the edge of pavement on all new above ground facility installations.
- Landscaping plans will require the type of irrigation system to be installed and the species, quantities, and spacing of the vegetation to be planted. Street trees must be selected from the County's Approved Tree List with a root barrier installed.
- Submit a copy of the Conditions of Approval and Planning Approved Plans for all development projects.
- Submit the application form and plans to either the North or South County offices at the addresses shown at the bottom of this page. The submittals may be hand-delivered, mailed, emailed or faxed to either office. Submittal of original documents would be required from all emailed and faxed applications.
Step Two - Intitial Review of Submittals
Upon receipt, the application and plans will be reviewed to determine if additional submittals (e.g. a traffic control plan, cost estimate form, etc.) will be required. If you submit the application in person, we can do the initial review with you over the counter which may expedite the processing of your permit. Our counter hours are between 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Appointments can made for 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (if necessary) in the South County. In North County the counter hours are 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. or by appointment outside of the 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. hour. Monday through Friday.
Step Three - Process and Timetable
After review of your submittals, a plan check review will commence internally. The permit will also be routed internally to various County Departments whose clearances are required for permit issuance. The typical plan check turnaround time is 3 weeks. Some complex permits may take longer than a three week plan check turnaround. Please be aware that County Flood Control may require a separate plan check submittals, contact Flood Control Development Engineer at (805) 568-3446.
Step Four - Issuance of Permit
After receiving all required clearances and plan check comment resubmittals, the permit will be prepared for issuance and you will be notified by telephone when it is ready to issue and the permit fee amount. Any permit not picked up from our office within 30 days may be voided and all application materials destroyed.
In addition to the above requirements, the required forms within the Application Package (Departmental Clearance Request Form, Permit Information Contact List, and Property Owner (Permittee) Authorization form) shall be submitted to the appropriate Road Division Permit Office for review and permit issuance.
Please allow a minimum of two (2) working days for initial review. Permit issuance will follow as time allows. For further information, call the appropriate office as follows: South County Road Encroachments: 681-4990, North County Road Encroachments: 739-8750.
Applications can be submitted to:
(South County) Santa Ynez, Santa Barbara, Goleta, Montecito, Summerland areas
4417 Cathedral Oaks, Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Tel (805) 681-4990 Fax (805) 681-4991
(North County) Santa Maria, Lompoc, Orcutt areas
Public Works Service Center
Santa Maria Design & Construction Office
620 W Foster Road, Santa Maria, CA 93455
Tel (805) 803-8750 Fax (805) 803-8773