Current Recruitment for 2018
Santa Barbara County Parks is currently accepting applications for Beach and Pool Lifeguards at Arroyo Burro Beach, Goleta Beach, Jalama Beach, Cachuma Pools, the Joseph Centeno Aquatics Complex and Hendry's Junior Lifeguards.
- To apply, all applicants must complete an Employment Application through the Santa Barbara County Human Resources Department.
- Email Jon Menzies, Aquatics Coordinator, once you have submitted your application. You will receive instructions for the upcoming trainings.
- Beaches only – Tryouts are May 19 at 9am at Arroyo Burro Beach. Successful applicants will be invited to the County Lifeguard Rookie Academy on May 19 at Arroyo Burro Beach and May 20 at Jalama Beach.
- Pools – Applicants must possess an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certificate or equivalent. Opportunities to earn this with the County are at the Centeno Complex in New Cuyama on May 5 and 6.
- Download, print and complete the Lifeguard Training Waiver & Release Form. Bring this completed form with you to your first training.
Lifeguard Training Waiver & Release Form - 18 & Over
Lifeguard Training Waiver & Release Form - Minors
Beach Lifeguard Training
The Santa Barbara County Lifeguards do annual in house training and regular in-service trainings to perfect their craft. Each lifeguard is required to show proficiency in all aspects of aquatic safety, first aid and emergency response. Lifeguards have partnered and trained with the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, Stations 11 (water rescue) and 41, as well as the US Coast Guard and Calstar 7. The County Lifeguard training is certified by the United States Lifesaving Association, and we are proud members of the California Surf Lifesaving Association.