Cachuma Lake Nature Program Programs & Activities
- Let our Park Naturalists guide you on a 2-hour Lake Cruise aboard the Osprey. A 30-passenger pontoon boat for easy wildlife viewing and personal comfort, the Osprey explores the Lake as Naturalists follow nature's serendipity to reveal the area's natural and cultural riches.
- Please Note: All cruises are canceled on Christmas Day.
- Click Here for complete information
- Saturdays year-round*: 12:30 - 1:30
- Program starts at 12:30 pm sharp
- Join a Cachuma Lake Park Naturalist to learn about Cachuma Lake wildlife and earn a cool badge! Parents are invited to participate too. Kids under the age of ten must be with an adult. To help earn your badge, bring a bag of litter or recycling that you collected from Park grounds. This protects animals and conserves natural resources.
- Groups bringing over 10 participants are asked to call in advance. (805) 688-4515. Limited to 30 participants, first come, first served.
- * Fee: $3
- For more information, go to the Junior Ranger Program
- Saturdays year-round: 10 to 11:30 am
- Meet at the Nature Center 10:00 am
- Free with Park Entry Fee
- Join a Cachuma Lake Park Naturalist or Park Volunteer for an easy-paced 1/2-mile walk exploring the oak woodland and lakeside ecology on the Oak Canyon Trail. Bring water, hats, and please, no pets.
- Groups bringing over 10 participants are asked to call in advance (805) 688-4515. Limited to 20 participants. First come, first served.
- Private nature walks can also be arranged on different days or times by calling the Park Naturalist to make arrangements.
- For more information, call the Park Naturalists at (805) 688-4515
Summer 2017 Programs:
- Summer Fireside Programs: Friday and Saturday nights at 8:00 p.m. Friday June 23 - Saturday Sept 2, 2017, at the Fireside Theater. See the full schedule below.
- We offer a variety of fun-filled evening entertainment. Join us under the stars for a movie night, live music, storytelling, or an interactive natural history presentation by a Santa Barbara County Park Naturalist or special guest presenter. Specific programs will be scheduled in Spring 2017.
- Free with $10 per vehicle Park Admission
- Astronomy Nights 2017: Join the Santa Barbara Astronomical Unit for a stellar presentation on celestial highlights at the Cachuma Lake Fireside Theater. Telescopes will be available for viewing the night sky after the program. For more information call (805) 688-4515.
|Friday, June 23||Movie Night|
|Saturday, June 24||Live Music: "The Bob Bishop Band" (6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)|
|Friday, June 30||Movie Night|
|Saturday, July 1||Star Party|
|Friday, July 7||Movie Night|
|Saturday, July 8||Live Music: "The Bob Bishop Band" (6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)|
|Friday, July 14||Movie Night|
|Saturday, July 15||Star Party|
|Friday, July 21||Nature Talk: "Hobby Beekeeping in Central California"|
|Saturday, July 22||Live Music: "The Free Radicals" (7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.)|
|Friday, July 28||Nature Talk: "Will Our Oaks Survive?"|
|Saturday, July 29||Star Party|
|Friday, August 4||History Talk: "Jeep to Jeep"|
|Saturday, August 5||Star Party|
|Friday, August 11||Movie Night|
|Saturday, August 12||Live Music: The Free Radicals" (7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.)|
|Friday, August 18||Live Music: "The Bob Bishop Band" (6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)|
|Saturday, August 19||Star Party|
|Friday, August 25||Movie Night|
|Saturday, August 26||Star Party|
|Friday, September 1||Movie Night|
|Saturday, September 2||Star Party|
Annual Events & Field Workshops
Creepy Creatures of Cachuma Lake
Saturday, October 14, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. . Location: Lawn at the Neal Taylor Nature Center. Free with $10 per vehicle Park Admission
The Cachuma Lake Recreation Area and Neal Taylor Nature Center conspire to offer this wonderfully creepy event! Fall under the spell of living owls, bats, spiders, snakes, and scorpions. Touch a collection of skulls and bones that will rattle your bones! Enjoy enchanting live music, make a mask, and get a face painting. Witches will
lurk on the sidelines with punch and popcorn. This event wouldn't be possible without our special guests: Alice Abela with her menagerie of insects, snakes, and spiders; Santa Barbara Audubon's Eye's in the Sky program, including
Max the owl; Todd Baron the magical Balloon Man, and Namie Jamie and the Captain with lively acoustic music. A mini-garage sale, which includes a variety of small treasures, including used books, will also be open in the nature center garage from 10:30-1:30. For more information call county Park Naturalist Rosey Bishop at (805)
688-4515, or email
The Neal Taylor Nature Center
- A visit to the Nature Center alone is a worth a trip to Cachuma Lake. The Center is a private, non-profit organization full of interactive exhibits for children and adults about Cachuma Lake, the Santa Ynez River Watershed, and local cultural and natural history. Santa Barbara County Parks at Cachuma Lake Recreation Area works with the assistance of the Center on several popular programs. For full information about the Neal Taylor Nature Center, their hours and programs, please go here.