Eligibility Provisions & Legal Notices
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
A regular civil service employee working 20 or more hours per weeks is eligible for the benefits outlined in this overview. Your coverage for health and dental benefits will be effective on the first of the month following your first pay period worked prior to the first of the following month.
Extra-Help/Contractors on Payroll who have currently enrolled in the County's health insurance can only make health insurance changes during Open Enrollment.
- Current legal spouse or registered domestic partner (same or opposite gender).
- Children (including your domestic partner's children):
- Must be under the age of 26 and not be eligible for medical coverage through his or her employer. They do not have to live with you or be enrolled in school. They can be married and/or living and working on their own.
- Eligible children include natural children, stepchildren, legally-adopted children, or children who have been placed in your custody during the adoption process, and physically or mentally handicapped children who depend on you for support, regardless of age.
- A child of a covered domestic partner who satisfies the same conditions as listed above for natural children, stepchildren, or adopted children, and in addition is not a "qualifying child" (as defined in the Internal Revenue Code) of another individual.
- Former spouse/registered domestic partner even if you are court ordered to provide the ex-spouse/former domestic partner with health coverage
- Children age 26 or older
- Children of former spouse or former registered domestic partners
- Disabled children over age 26 who were not enrolled prior to age 26
- Relatives such as grandchildren, grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc.
- Foster children
- Live-in boyfriend/girlfriend and his/her children
DEPENDENT ELIGIBILITY DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
If you are adding dependents (spouse and/or dependent children) during Open Enrollment, the County requires that you verify your dependent's eligibility.
Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Health Insurance Legal Notices
- Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Notice To view the Health Insurance Market Place notice please click here .
- ACA Glossary of Health Coverage and Medical Terms To view the Glossary of Terms document please click here .
- Health Insurance Legal Notices
To view the Annual Benefits Legal Notices required by Federal Law please click here . This document fulfills the annual notice requirement for the following Acts:
- The Newborns and Mothers Health protection Act
- The Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Notice regarding Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage
- Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- IRS Qualifying Events