Vision: To provide and sustain a comprehensive emergency management program that supports the County, incorporated cities, districts, and partners, both public and private.
Mission: To enhance safety and preparedness through strong leadership, collaboration, communication, and meaningful partnerships designed to protect lives and property by effectively preparing for, preventing and mitigating, responding to, and recovering from disasters, threats, and emergencies.
Values: Credibility, compassion and accountability.
In order to accomplish our mission, SBCOEM focuses on the following primary areas:
- All-hazards disaster planning
- Countywide testing, training and exercises
- Public education and outreach
- Public alert and warning
- Operational Area coordination
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC) operations
- Short-term disaster assistance and long term recovery
Emergency Information, Notifications & Alerts: Emergency information received at the right time can help keep you safe during an emergency. In some cases, alerts and warnings can be sent to your mobile device, email, or landline phone to alert you that an unsafe condition exists and/or that you may be in harm's way. Santa Barbara County residents are encouraged to register to receive emergency notifications and alerts at:
- And by texting their zip code to 888777 (to receive limited alerts and information via Nixle)
You can also follow us on social media at:
*Emergency and disaster information for current large-scale incidents can be found at ReadySBC.org.
Preparedness Information: Individuals, households, businesses, government agencies, and others within the geographic limits of the county are encouraged to learn how they can be ready BEFORE an emergency or disaster strikes. Click below for links to preparedness information and resources.
Hazard-Specific Information: Click the links below for information and resources related to specific hazards and threats.
- Active Shooter
- Attacks in Public Places
- Chemical Emergencies
- Dam Failure
- Extreme Heat
- Hazardous Materials Incidents
- Home Fires
- Household Chemical Emergencies
- Landslide & Debris Flow
- Nuclear Explosion
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Power Outages
- Radiological Dispersal Device
- Severe Weather
- Space Weather
- Thunderstorms & Lightning
Foundational County Emergency Plans
SBCOEM develops and maintains emergency plans and procedures that address the full spectrum of natural, human-caused, and technological emergencies and disasters. Additionally, SBCOEM has compiled step-by-step procedures and planned courses of action to help emergency officials and responders carry out complex and routine operations. The plans listed below are foundational documents that provide officials with strategic direction, an operational framework, and a basis for decision making.
- Santa Barbara County Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Santa Barbara County Emergency Operations Plan
Contact the Santa Barbara County
Office of Emergency Management
- Address: 4408 Cathedral Oaks Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93110
- Main Line: 805-681-5526 | 805-681-5592 - fax | Email: email@example.com
- 24/7 Emergencies: 9-1-1
Kelly Hubbard, MS, CEM®
JD Saucedo, M.S.E.D.M.
Dr. Donald Patterson
Michael W. Dyer