The Clerk of the Board
Public Counter Notice
(Updated April 23, 2020)
Effective, Tuesday, March 24, 2020, the Santa Barbara County Administration Building will be closed to the public
Based on guidance from the California Department of Public Health and the California Governor's Stay at Home Executive Order N-33-20 issued on March 19, 2020 to protect the health and well-being of all Californians and to establish consistency across the state in order to slow the spread of COVID-19, the Santa Barbara County Clerk of the Board has closed its public counter until further notice. The Clerk of the Board is committed to continuing to provide public services during this time. Read the Notice
The Clerk of the Board is offering a drop box to allow members of the public the ability to submit documents between the hours of 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday at the following location:
Santa Barbara County Administration Building
105 East Anapamu Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(Anapamu Street Entrance Only)
The following documents can be submitted:
- Assessment Appeals
- Land Use Appeals
- CEQA Filings
- Payment made by check or JE
For Monument Deposits and Clerk of the Board map attestations, please email Sheila de la Guerra at: firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
If you have an urgent matter that is not listed above, please contact our main line at (805) 568-2240 between the hours of 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Based on guidance from the California Department of Public Health and the California Governor's Stay at Home Executive Order N-33-20 issued on March 19, 2020 to protect the health and well-being of all Californian's and to establish consistency across the state in order to slow the spread of COVID-19, the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors meetings will no longer provide in-person participation.
We have established alternative methods of participation in the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors meetings, pursuant to the California Governor's Executive Order N-29-20, which states:
- Providing an opportunity to "observe and address" telephonically or otherwise electronically, alone, meets the requirement; and
- Removing the former requirement from Executive Order N-25-20 of having "at least one publicly accessible" location from which the public may observe and offer comment. Executive Order N-29-20 now states expressly, "Such a body need not make available any physical location from which members of the public may observe the meeting and offer public comment."
The following alternative methods of participation are available to the public:
- You may observe the live stream of the Board of Supervisors meetings on (1) Local Cable Channel 20, (2) online at:
http://www.countyofsb.org/ceo/csbtv/livestream.sbc; or (3) on YouTube at:
- If you wish to make a general public comment or to comment on a specific agenda item, the following methods are available:
- Distribution to the Board of Supervisors - Submit your comment via email prior to 5 p.m.. on the day prior to the Board meeting. Please submit your comment to the Clerk of the Board at: email@example.com. Your comment will be placed into the record and distributed appropriately.
- By Zoom Webinar – Individuals wishing to provide public comment during the Board of Supervisors meeting can do so via Zoom. Please see page 2 of the current agenda to register in advance.
The Clerk of the Board provides a range of services to the Public and County Staff. This Division of the County Executive Office provides administrative and clerical support for the Board of Supervisors, Assessment Appeals Boards, and Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) .
The Clerk of the Board employs 6 full-time staff who assist in the management of meeting schedules and calendars; prepare Board Meeting Agendas; distribute Staff reports and associated materials to be considered at each meeting; and maintain written record of actions taken at each meeting. The Clerk provides legislative support for the Board of Supervisors and is responsible for the codification and publication of all legislative acts approved by the Board of Supervisors in the Santa Barbara County Code . The Clerk also maintains the County Roster of appointed Boards, Commissions and Committees. .
The Clerk of the Board is committed to providing professional service to the public; of ensuring the integrity and accessibility of the public record; of facilitating the accurate and timely presentation of information to the Board of Supervisors, County departments and the public through the agenda process; to promoting public participation in local government and to supporting the adopted Mission, Goals and Programs of the Board of Supervisors
Land Use Appeals
Appeals of a decision of the Planning Commission, the Planning Director, the Zoning Administrator or the County Surveyor must be filed with the Clerk of the Board. Appeals must be filed no later than ten (10) days following the date of the decision, along with the appropriate fees. Appeals are forwarded to staff of the affected department(s) which subsequently sets the item for a public hearing before the Board of Supervisors.
Filing Claims Against the County of Santa Barbara
Claims against the County of Santa Barbara must be filed with the Clerk of the Board. Persons wishing to file a Claim against the County may fill out the Claim Form provided below, and submit the original + one copy in person or by mail. Claims may not be submitted via electronic mail or fax, as an original signature is required.
You may contact the Clerk of the Board at our offices located at 105 E. Anapamu Street, Room 407, Santa Barbara CA, 93101; by calling (805) 568-2240; by faxing (805) 568-2249, or by e-mailing the Clerk of the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.