Frequently Asked Questions – Vital Records


Certified Informational copies will be imprinted with "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY" across the face of the copy.

For more information please see our page regarding Who Can Request Copies.

Our office does not accept online applications or requests through third party sites.

For more information on how to order copies please see the following pages:
Application Method Processing Time
In Person Same Day to 1 Business Day
By Mail 1 to 10 Business Days
By Fax 1 to 3 Business Days
If you are not able to come in person, the fastest method of requesting a record is to fax your request.
No. All certificates must either be picked up in-person or delivered by mail. Please note, our staff does not perform searches or provide information regarding a record over the phone or via email. For more information, please visit our pages on how to request:
If you request USPS Express shipping, our office may provide you with a tracking number upon request which can be used to track your shipment through the United States Post Office We are not able to provide tracking information for requests sent USPS First Class.
A completed application is required for all requests. There are additional requirements for requesting authorized copies of a record:

If you are requesting authorized copies in person, you should be prepared to show valid government issued identification.

If you are submitting your order for authorized copies by mail or fax, please complete the sworn statement portion of the application in the presence of a notary public. The notary public must also complete the Certificate of Acknowledgment portion of the application, verifying the identity of the applicant.

Extended family members such as aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews are not able to obtain authorized copies of a certificate. For more information please see Who Can Request Copies?
The Verification costs $14.00 and may be requested in person at any of our office locations or by mail. If you are sending your Verification request by mail, please include a $2.00 fee for first class mailing. Checks should be made payable to Santa Barbara Clerk-Recorder.

Amendments (Changes to Vital Records)

Amendments to Birth and Death Certificates are handled by the California Department of Public Health. For more information, you may visit their website: CDPH - Correcting or Amending Vital Records
If you are interested in making a change to your name as part of the marriage process, please see our page on name changes.

If you are interested in a court ordered name change, information can be found on the Santa Barbara Superior Court website.

If you would like to correct or amend a name on a birth, death, or marriage certificate, please visit the California Department of Public Health's page on Correcting or Amending Vital Records .

Court ordered name changes are handled by the Santa Barbara Superior Court. Please see their website for additional information: Name Changes

Available Records

Divorce records for divorces finalized in Santa Barbara County can be requested from Superior Court .
We can only issue copies of birth and death certificates if the birth or death occurred in Santa Barbara County. We only issue copies of marriage certificates if the marriage license was issued in Santa Barbara County. Keep in mind that the county in which the license was issued may be different from the county where the marriage ceremony took place..
Make the request in the adopted name and list the adoptive parent(s) in the appropriate fields. If you are requesting a copy of the original birth certificate, you must provide a court order releasing the original sealed record.

Please note, the record should be requested from the county in which the birth took place, not the county where the adoption occurred. If you are unsure of the location of birth, the request can be made through the California Department of Public Health .

For more information, please see our page on Birth Certificates.

International Orders