- Harry E. Hagen
- CPA, CFIP, CPFO, ACPFIM
- Treasurer - Tax Collector -
The mission of the Tax Collector for the County of Santa Barbara is to provide quality, responsive and efficient service in presenting and collecting property taxes within the timeframes of the Government Code.
- Bill, collect, and maintain accounting records for all secured, supplemental and unsecured property taxes levied by the taxing agencies within the County
- Collect prior year secured delinquent taxes, conduct public auction and sealed bid sales on tax defaulted properties.
- Collect unsecured tax billings through notice of lien, recordation and release of liens, summary judgment, seizure and sale, and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Collect business license fees, franchise tax, transient occupancy tax, racehorse tax, and various other type taxes and special assessments.
- Administer senior citizen cable television discount and provide information on the state property tax postponement program.
- Perform General Collection activities.
- July 1: Beginning of fiscal year.
- August 31: Unsecured tax deadline - A 10% penalty plus a $50.00 cost is added.
- October: Treasurer-Tax Collector mails out original secured property tax bills.
- November 1: First installment is due (Secured Property Tax) and delinquent Unsecured accounts are charged additional penalties of 1 1/2 % per month until paid.
- December 10: First installment payment deadline. A 10% penalty is added after 5:00 p.m.
- February 1: Second Installment due (Secured Property Tax).
- April 10: Second installment payment deadline. A 10% penalty plus $30.00 cost is added after 5:00 p.m.
- June: Treasurer-Tax Collector mails delinquent notices for any unpaid, regular current taxes.
- June 8: Notices of impending default published and mailed by this date.
- June 30: End of Fiscal Year (last day to pay impending default property) or establish payment plan.
- July 1: Delinquent Secured accounts are transferred to delinquent tax roll and additional penalties added at 1 1/2 % per month on any unpaid tax amounts, plus $25.00 redemption fee.
For Fiscal Year 2013-14
|Property Tax Allocation
||Percentage of Property Tax Dollars Received
|County General Fund
|Dependent Special Districts
|Independent Special Districts