Results of the 2019 Election for General, Safety, and Safety Alternate Members of the Board of Retirement
Rob Adam Perry was elected as 2nd General Elected Member, Frederick Tan was elected as 7th Safety Member, and Ryan Sullivan was elected as 7th Alternate Safety Member.
Retiree Health Insurance Open Enrollment
Open enrollment for the 2020 plan year is from October 1, 2019 through November 1, 2019. SBCERS must receive all enrollments, changes and cancellations (if any) NO LATER THAN Friday, November 1, 2019. After Friday, November 1, 2019, your next opportunity to make health plan changes will be in October 2020, for the 2021 plan year. Keep each year's Guide to Retiree Health Plans & Open Enrollment book on-hand all year and consult it (or the electronic version linked below) for important benefit and contact information.
Be sure to review the Health Reimbursement benefit information when considering canceling your insurance.
OPEN ENROLLMENT MEETING DATES
|SANTA MARIA||SANTA BARBARA|
Monday, October 14, 2019
Thursday, October 17, 2019
New SBCERS Retirement Benefit Statement
Welcome to the newly enhanced SBCERS Retirement Benefit Statement format, which will be effective beginning the October 1, 2019 Benefit Payment. We are excited to provide you with improvements including:
- A larger, easier to read font.
- The tri-fold, perforated page is being replaced with a standard 8 ½ by 11 inch page in a standard envelope. This standard sized page will be easier to file.
- Your Care Counsel healthcare advocate deduction no longer reads $0.00, it reads the amount that has always been deducted from your offset: $3.25
- The actual insurance premium amounts are now listed in the Deduction section, so you can see the actual cost of your premium. This amount now matches what is listed in our Open Enrollment booklet, our rate sheets, and is now an easy to find number you can use to know the true total cost of your insurance.
- The amount of your insurance subsidy, the amount your former employer pays to reduce your premium, is listed in the Deductions section as a negative amount, because it is reducing your cost
- A newly enhanced "Insurance Subsidy or HRA" section lists what your share of the monthly insurance premiums is, or, if you have a Health Reimbursement Arrangement Account, the HRA amount awarded to you for the month.
- A larger, easier to read Monthly Message center.
2019 Notice of Special Election for General Member of the Board of Retirement
On July 31, 2019, a General Trustee position on the Board of Retirement of the Santa Barbara County Employees' Retirement System became vacant. In accordance with the Board of Retirement elections policy, a special election will be held November 12 – December 9, 2019 to select a General Member to fill the vacancy of the 3rd General Member of the Board of Retirement. The successful candidate will serve the remaining term of the 3rd General Member beginning January 22, 2020, and ending December 31, 2020.
GENERAL member candidates must be active members of SBCERS and may not be safety or retired members.
All candidates must submit a Petition of Nomination/Declaration of Candidacy. Petitions will be available at SBCERS' Offices, 3916 State Street, Suite 100, Santa Barbara; 2400 Professional Parkway, Suite 150, Santa Maria, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. beginning Friday, September 27, 2019 through Tuesday, October 22, 2019, or on our website: www.sbcers.org. The petition shall include the nominee's name, certification of willingness to serve and the signatures of at least 15 but not more than 25 members of the nominee's membership classification on a nominating petition. The petitions and ballot statements must be returned to Santa Barbara County Clerk Recorder-Assessor's Elections Division office at 4440-A Calle Real, Santa Barbara, or 511 E. Lakeside Parkway, Suite 134, Santa Maria, no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 22, 2019.
Ballots containing the names of all qualified candidates and postage-paid return envelopes will be mailed to the home address of qualified voting members of the System on Tuesday, November 12, 2019, and available for pickup at the Elections offices. Ballots must be received by the Elections office by U. S. mail or by personal delivery to the Elections office at 4440-A Calle Real, Santa Barbara, or the Santa Maria Branch Office at 511 E. Lakeside Parkway, Suite 134 before 5 p.m. on Monday, December 9, 2019. The votes will be counted Tuesday, December 10, 2019.
Inquiries regarding this election may be made at 3916 State Street, Suite 100, Santa Barbara, or by calling (877) 568-2940, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.