The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department Office of Vital Records processes the County’s birth certificates, death certificates, and burial permits. We also, provide certified copies of Certificates for those who were born or died in this County.
The California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 permits only specific individuals to receive an authorized certified copy of birth or death record:
Who is authorized to receive a certified copy?
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of section 3140 of 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant estate.
- Any funeral director that orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.
When is a certified copy needed?
- An authorized certified copy of a birth is required to obtain a driver’s license, passport, social security card and other services related to an individuals’ identity.
- An authorized certified copy of a death may be required to obtain death benefits, claim insurance proceeds, notify social security, and obtain other services related to an individual’s identity.
- Those that do not meet the criteria for an authorized certified copy may receive an informational certified copy that includes the words, “informational, not valid document to establish identity” imprinted across the face of the copy.
How do I request a certified copy?
- To request certified copies of birth certificates for those born in the County in the current year and five years prior, click here. To request certified copies of death certificates for those who died in the County in the current year or the previous year, click here. For out of County mortuary use click here.
- To request certified copies of birth or death certificates for all other events outside of the years noted above, click here for a link to the Clerk/Recorder’s Office or contact their office at 805-568-2250.