• Unemployment Insurance Benefits – Regardless of how long you have worked for Santa Barbara County, you could apply for unemployment insurance benefits with the State of California.  Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance is determined by the State of California Employment Development Department.  Your benefit will be based on your highest quarterly earnings during a one-year look back period.  You can find more information about how your benefit amount is calculated and how to file a claim on the California Employment Development Department website at  OR by calling the EDD representative at: 1-800-480-3287.

  • Health Insurance  - Your medical, dental, and vision coverage will end on the last calendar day of the month in which your separation from employment occurs.  Once your last payroll is processed, the County's COBRA administrator,

    Benefits Coordinators Corporation (BCC), will send you an election notice detailing your rights to re-enroll with no lapse in coverage and no pre-existing conditions and what your premium cost will be.  Once you receive the election notice, you have 60 days to enroll. 


Please be aware that there is a time lag between the time you separate employment and when you receive your enrollment notice, but that your coverage will always start retroactively to the first of the month following your separation date.  For more information, contact BCC, the County's COBRA administrator at 1-800-685-6100.

  • Post-Tax Health Premiums  - Once your employment with Santa Barbara County ends and you elect COBRA continuation coverage of your health benefits, you will pay your premiums directly to

    BCC, our COBRA administrator, on a post-tax basis.

  • After the 18 months of federal COBRA coverage has expired, you are permitted an additional 18 months under of Extended COBRA, allowing 36 months of COBRA coverage.

  • Your spouse and dependent children are eligible for 36 months of initial coverage under federal law.  There is no California state extension of this coverage.  They have the option to enroll separately from your coverage. 

    BCC can answer any questions you may have about your COBRA coverage.

  • Domestic partners do not have federal or state COBRA rights to continue health insurance coverage unless they otherwise meet the qualifications of a dependent.