Local Recovery and Assistance Center

Welcome to the information site for recovery efforts related to the January Storm Event and Thomas Fire evacuations, damage, and loss in Santa Barbara County. This website is intended to guide residents through the recovery process, regardless of the size of their loss.

On Wednesday, January 17, the County will open a Local Recovery and Assistance Center to serve as a centralized, single point location for essential resources and services to help community members recover and rebuild.

The Local Recovery and Assistance Center will initially be open January 17 to February 3, 2018 at Calvary Chapel Santa Barbara, 1 N Calle Cesar Chavez, Santa Barbara, 93103 during the following hours of 11 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday. The center will be closed on Sunday.

Representatives from various local, state and federal agencies will provide counseling support, resource and housing assistance, information to aid in rebuilding, permitting, hazardous materials clean-up, loss of business or employment, basic health and human services, and other topics.  

Notification - Register Here register here

Residents who are seeking services and resource referrals following the Thomas Fire should begin by completing this short online form.

Important Topics and Documents

Attention Residents in or near the Communities Impacted by the Thomas Fire:

Thomas, Whittier and Sherpa Fires Interactive Map

The intensity of the Thomas Fire left our mountains with little or no vegetation to prevent the slopes from sliding. With the immediate approach of winter storms, the threat of flash floods and debris flows is now 10 times greater in your community than before the fire – they can happen with little or no warning. Officials may only be able to alert the public with just a few minutes notice, or none at all. It is imperative that you understand the seriousness of the situation and are prepared. Do not delay in taking action to protect you, your family and your property. To determine if your property is in the impact area, please refer to this interactive map . For residents who do not have access to the Internet, call 211 or (800) 400-1572.

We recommend that you take the following actions now:

  1. Sign up for emergency alerts at  awareandprepare.org.
  2. Monitor weather reports and consider your safety risk when a weather advisory is issued. 
  3. Be prepared to leave before roads, creeks and waterways are flowing, or go to a neighbor on high ground or shelter in-place.
  4. Know all your local access roads and understand that some may be blocked by debris. Have an alternate plan or route. Mudslides can occur even days after a storm when the ground is saturated. 
  5. NEVER drive or walk into floodwaters or go around barricades. It is impossible to know how deep the water is just by looking at it.
  6. Consider installing sandbags, straw wattles (rolled erosion control netting filled with straw), and other methods to divert water and reduce erosion on your property. Santa Barbara County Public Works offers sandbags. 
    For locations and information, call County Flood Control at (805) 568-3440 or go to  www.countyofsb.org/pwd/sandbag.sbc.
  7. Refer to the Homeowner Guide to Flood Prevention and Response (español)
  8. Flood Insurance: Most homeowners insurance does not cover floods from natural disasters. Make sure your home is protected. Refer to  Flood After Fire ( español)
  9. Have an Emergency Plan and a Disaster Kit ready to go. For more information, read the additional resources here as  the  Debris Flow Survival Guide  ( español)
  10. Our RAIN READY page and the Public Works Department has much more information on storm preparedness.

How was the Flood and Debris Interactive Map created and what can it tell you?

(NOTE: The map is continuously being updated based on the analysis by the USFS and CAL FIRE Teams assigned. Please review this map frequently to see the changes.)

Four areas are identified that could be impacted by the Thomas and Whittier fire burn areas:

  1. Properties within the burn area:  These properties are at an increased risk from mudslides and rocks from the slopes above the property or by the debris, mud, rocks and water that is carried down the watercourses from high up on the mountain. 
  2. Properties within a 1/4 mile of the perimeter of the burn area: These properties are at an increased risk from mudslides from the slopes above the property or by the debris, mud, rocks and water that is carried down the watercourses from high up on the mountain. 
  3. Properties near a watercourse such as a creek: These properties are at an increased risk from debris flows that could cause water to spill over the banks of the watercourse. A creek that maybe dry all year can become a raging force of debris, rocks, mud and water. 
  4. Properties in the lowlands and flood zones:  These properties are at an increased risk from flooding and mud flows that could occur from large amounts of runoff from the mountains that are bare of vegetation.

 During a storm roads maybe blocked by water or rocks, therefore it may be better to either go to high ground at a neighbor's house or shelter in place. This depends on the specific location of the property you are at. You need to know the threats that surround you!

View Map


The Department of Public Health recommends these videos:

Federal Resources

The Federal Emergency Management Agency can provide information about federal assistance programs. By completing an anonymous questionnaire online at https://www.disasterassistance.gov/get-assistance/find-assistance , you will be given a list of potential resources based on your particular situation and needs.

These include:

Disaster Legal Services (available through Department of Homeland Security for low income disaster survivors) for assistance with:

  • Insurance claims for medical bills, loss of property, loss of life
  • New wills, powers of attorney, and other legal papers lost during the disaster
  • Home-repair contracts and contractors
  • Problems with landlords:

Transitional Sheltering Assistance covers the cost of staying in a participating hotel listed at http://femaevachotels.com/index.php .
Low Interest Loans
offered through the Small Business Administration for those with no or insufficient private insurance:

  • up to $200,000 to repair or replace damaged structures
  • up to $40,000 to replace basic possessions

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP ) offered through the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency, makes payments to producers of eligible crops when there have been low yields or loss of inventory due to a natural disaster.

Emergency Assistance

In the event of an emergency, call 911. For general non-emergencies, call the Sheriff Office Dispatch at (805) 683-2724.

Aware and Prepare Emergency Alert System for Santa Barbara County:

Register to receive alerts at www.AwareandPrepare.org. If we can't reach you, we can't alert you.

Video in English

Video en español

Santa Barbara County Fire Department : http://www.sbcfire.com/

Santa Barbara County Sheriff : http://www.sbsheriff.org/

Montecito Fire Department: https://www.montecitofire.com/
595 San Ysidro Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93108
Non-emergencies, call (805) 969-7762

Carpinteria - Sumerland Fire Protection District : http://www.carpfire.com/
Administration Office: 1140 Eugenia Place, Suite A in Carpinteria
(805) 684-4591

Crisis Counseling and Assistance
If a crisis places anyone in immediate danger, call 911. If the crisis does not involve immediate danger, and if the person in crisis has insurance coverage through a health plan, call the health plan to get a referral to a covered mental health provider. For all others in Santa Barbara County, call the 24-hour toll-free Access Line at (888) 868-1649. Someone is available to assist you 24 hours per day, seven days per week.

The American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross (Red Cross) provides emergency food, shelter, and disaster health and mental health services to individuals and families affected by a disaster. For information, call (800) RED-CROSS (733-2767).

If you are impacted by a disaster, "SAFE and WELL" provides a way for you to register yourself as "safe and well." From a list of standard messages, you can select those that you want to communicate to your family members, letting them know of your well-being. For more information, visit the Red Cross website at http://www.redcross.org/safeandwell .

The Salvation Army:
The Salvation Army provides a variety of services including help with food, household needs, clothing and personal needs. For information, call (800) 725-2769 or visit the Salvation Army website at www.disaster.salvationarmyusa.org .

Be Aware of Scams and Price Gouging:
Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce E. Dudley issued a press release to remind residents to be vigilant in responding to crimes committed by thieves who attempt to profit from the Thomas Fire.  Read the press release ( English/ español)

Health Information

For assistance with physical health questions, visit the county's website at www.countyofsb.org or departments linked below. If you are feeling ill, consult with your physician.

Mental health services are available 24/7 through the Santa Barbara County Department of Behavioral Wellness at (888) 868-1649.

County Public Health Department:


Behavioral Wellness:

Air Pollution Control District:
For information about air quality and air monitoring, go to https://www.ourair.org/.

California Department of Public Health:
For information on health concerns related to a disaster, call (916) 650-6416 or visit CDPH at http://www.bepreparedcalifornia.ca.gov .

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program:

The Woman, Infants and Children (WIC) program helps low-to-moderate-income pregnant women, new mothers and their babies and young children to eat well and stay healthy. WIC provides:

  • Special checks to buy healthy foods such as milk, juice, eggs, cheese, fruits, vegetables, baby foods and whole grains;  
  • Information about nutrition and health;
  • Breastfeeding support and referrals to health care and community services.

For more information, call (888) 942-9675 or visit the WIC website at http://m.wic.ca.gov and click on "Join WIC."

Medi-Cal Insurance Program:
Medi-Cal is a public health insurance program that provides Californians with access to affordable, integrated, high-quality health care, including medical, dental, mental health, substance use treatment services and long-term care. Medi-Cal offers free or low-cost coverage to low-income Californians who meet eligibility requirements, including families with children, seniors, persons with disabilities, pregnant women, and low-income people with specific diseases, such as tuberculosis, breast cancer, or HIV/AIDS.

In Santa Barbara County, go to the County Public Health Department website, Benefits & Referral Center at http://cosb.countyofsb.org/phd/primarycare.aspx?id=27072&pghead=23614&footer=23628&terms=medi-cal .

Equal Housing

(See also Insurance, Housing and Rebuilding Assistance)

Equal Housing Protection:

Homeowners, homebuyers and tenants have protection from housing discrimination under California Civil Rights laws through the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). DFEH is responsible for enforcing state fair housing laws that make it illegal to discriminate because of the categories listed below under "Who is Protected?" The law applies to landlords, real estate agents, home sellers, builders, mortgage lenders, and others. The law prohibits discrimination in all aspects of the housing business, including: Renting or leasing, sales, mortgage lending and insurance, advertising, and practices such as restrictive covenants, as well as permitting new construction.

Who is Protected?
California law protects individuals from illegal discrimination by housing providers based on the following: Age; Race, color; Ancestry, national origin, Religion: Disability, mental or physical: Sex, gender; Sexual orientation; Gender identity, gender expression; Genetic information; Marital status; Familial status; Source of income. For additional information, visit the DFEH website at https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/Housing/ .

Special Fee Waivers & Filing Extensions, Record Replacement Assistance and Tax Assistance

Special Fee Waivers and Filing Extensions

As a result of a disaster, the Governor may issue an Executive Order that allows special fee waivers and filing extensions for replacing important government records (i.e., birth and death certificates, identification cards, etc.). For fee waiver and filing extension information related to a specific disaster, contact the following state departments:

Record Replacement Assistance

California Department of Motor Vehicles:

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can respond to questions and provide the forms needed to assist individuals in replacing DMV documents, such as driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle cards certificates and certificates of title, that were lost as a result of the disaster. Contact DMV at (800) 777-0133 [TTY: (800) 735-2929 or (800) 368-4327 for hearing or speech impaired], or visit the DMV website at http://www.dmv.ca.gov.

Vital Records:

Santa Barbara County and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) is working with those who have lost vital records as a result of the disaster. Birth, death and marriage records should be requested from the county recorder's office in the county where the event occurred – See Below.

Santa Barbara County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office:

To retrieve copies of official records and vital records (birth, death and marriage certificates), go to http://sbcassessor.com/ClerkRecorder/ClerkRecorder.aspx .

Tax Assistance

California Department of Tax and Fee Administration:
Emergency tax or fee relief is available from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (formerly the State Board of Equalization (BOE) for business owners or fee payers directly affected by disasters. Relief may include the extension of tax return due dates, relief of penalty and interest, or replacement copies of records lost due to disasters. For questions or assistance regarding sales and use tax, or special taxes and fees, contact the CDTFA at (800) 400-7115 (TTY: 1-800-735-2929) or visit the CDTFA website at www.cdtfa.ca.gov.

California Employment Development Department – Assistance for Employers:
California employers directly impacted by a state of emergency may request up to a 60-day extension to file their state payroll reports and to deposit state payroll taxes with the California Employment Development Department (EDD) without penalty or interest. For further information, visit EDD's Emergency and Disaster Assistance for Employers at http://www.edd.ca.gov/payroll_taxes/emergency_and_disaster_assistance_for_employers.htm , or call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at (888) 745-3886; TTY 1-800-547-9565.

Franchise Tax Board:
The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) provides guidance in obtaining tax relief for disaster casualty losses. Contact FTB at (800) 852-5711 (TTY/TDD for hearing or speech impaired, (800) 822-6268) or visit the FTB website at www.ftb.ca.gov and search keyword "disaster losses."

Internal Revenue Service:
For information on Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses, visit the IRS website at www.IRS.gov, search keyword "Disaster" (Disaster Assistance) or contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040, (TTY: 1-800-829-4059).

Santa Barbara County Application for Reassessment of Property Damage: The Board of Supervisors enacted Ordinance 4697 providing property tax relief for owners who have suffered property damage due to major disaster or individual misfortune. Property owners may apply for a reassessment under this ordinance for any damage or destruction not the fault of the property owner. The written application may be filed within 12 months of the misfortune or calamity.

To qualify for reassessment, you must meet the eligibility requirements on the reverse side of this form . [For Reference: form URL is: https://www.sbcassessor.com/Assessor/AssessorPdf/Sec170_Application_Form.pdf] For information or assistance, you may contact or visit either office:

  • Santa Barbara Office: 105 E. Anapamu St., Room 204, (805) 568-2550
  • Santa Maria Office: 511 E. Lakeside, (805) 346-8310

Insurance, Housing and Rebuilding Assistance

Fire and Flooding Insurance Information:

There is typically a 30-day wait period between when you buy a flood insurance policy and when it goes into effect, but there are some exceptions. To learn more, go to http://www.countyofsb.org/pwd/water.sbc .

California Department of Insurance:

The California Department of Insurance (CDI) provides assistance on insurance issues, such as claim handling delays, additional living expenses, underinsurance disputes, availability, etc. The Insurance Commissioner wants to make sure that the claim process moves as smoothly and as quickly as possible and that any underinsurance issues are investigated. If you are experiencing difficulty with the processing of your claim or wish to have an underinsurance issue investigated, contact the CDI Consumer Hotline at (800) 927-4357(HELP), (TTY: 1-800-482-4833) for assistance. Additional information may be found online at www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/101-help

Contractors State License Board (CSLB):

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) verifies contractor licenses, investigates complaints, and provides helpful information about hiring a licensed contractor. For information on hiring or filing a complaint regarding a contractor, disaster victims may call CSLB's Disaster Hotline 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday at (800) 962-1125, or the 24-hour automated telephone response system at (800) 321-CSLB (2752). A contractor's licenses can be checked online at https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/onlineservices/checklicenseII/checklicense.aspx . View the video, "Rebuilding After a Natural Disaster" on the CSLB website. For assistance assessing the reputation of any contractor under consideration, go to http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Media_Room/Disaster_Help_Center/ .

Santa Barbara County Planning and Development:  
The County's Planning and Development Department will help you navigate the complexities of building. For more information, go to http://sbcountyplanning.org/.

California Housing and Community Development:
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) can assist with manufactured housing questions including repairs, installations and/or registration and titling. For information on obtaining construction permits for manufactured homes or parks, contact the Riverside Area Office at (951) 782-4420 or the Sacramento Area Office at (916) 255-2501. For information concerning Registration and Titling, call (800) 952-8356; TDD (800) 735-2929, or visit the HCD website at www.hcd.ca.gov/manufacturedhousing . For other types of housing recovery funding opportunities, please contact your local housing or economic development department.

Santa Barbara County Housing - Community Development Department:
Santa Barbara County Housing/Community Development Department website: https://countyofsb.org/housing . For information on housing resources available to residents of Santa Barbara County, go to https://countyofsb.org/housing/homebuyershome.sbc .

Tenant/Landlord Assistance & Disputes

Chapter 44- Residential Property- Landlords and Tenants Rights and Duties:

Click here for more information

Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County:

Santa Barbara Main Office: (805) 963-6754

Santa Maria Main Office: (805) 922-9909

Lompoc Main Office: (805) 736-6582


Hours: Monday - Thursday, 9:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.; Friday - by appointment

Be Aware of Scams and Price Gouging:
Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce E. Dudley issued a press release to remind residents to be vigilant in responding to crimes committed by thieves who attempt to profit from the Thomas Fire. Read the press release ( English/ español)  

Conflict Solutions Center:

Santa Barbara: (805) 963-6765; Santa Maria: (805) 349-8943

State of California's Department of Fair Housing and Employment:

State of California's Department of Consumer Affairs:
Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities

Additional Resource Lists:
North County Tenant Resource List

South County Tenant Resource List

Keep Your Home California :
Keep Your Home California offers four new programs to help California families struggling to pay their mortgages. For additional information, go to http://www.keepyourhomecalifornia.org/ or call toll free (888) 954-KEEP (5337).

Utility Resources:

Southern California Edison
( http://on.sce.com/2Dse39F):
Wildfire Support & Information : A dedicated Customer Support Team is set up to help customers affected by the Southern California wildfires. If you were impacted and have questions about your electric service, please call (800) 250-7339 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, or Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. http://on.sce.com/2CkxUrS

Southern California Gas ( https://www.socalgas.com/):
For Gas Emergencies or Safety Issues

Emergencies: Dial 911

Gas Emergencies/Safety Issues: (800) 427-2200 (Questions about gas odor or carbon monoxide)

For Customer Service

Residential Customers: (877) 238-0092 (available 24/7)

Residential Customers: 001-909-307-7070 (International Callers)

My Account Support: (877) 238-0092

Business My Account Support: (800) 427-2000

Commercial, Industrial and Agricultural Customers: (800) 427-2000

Hearing Impaired, TDD/TTY: (800) 252-0259

Food Service Equipment Center: (562) 803-7323

Call Before You Dig: 811 (Free service to mark gaslines near you)

Español: (800) 342-4545 (disponible las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana)

Carpinteria Valley Water District - http://www.cvwd.net/ :

In light of the Thomas Fire, the District has suspended the December Penalty Date, Door Tag and Shut Off procedures and will NOT be assessing fees. Customers are encouraged to pay past due bills online by December 28, 2017. Please call the District at 805-684-2816, if you have additional questions or concerns regarding a past due bill.

Penalty Date: January 8, 2018 - Past Due bills must be paid by 5 p.m.

Door Tag Notification: January 9, 2018

Shut-Off: January 11, 2018 by 9 a.m.

District customers: Please call (805) 684-2816 to ensure we have updated telephone contact information in order to provide you with updates and notifications.

Carpinteria Sanitary District ( http://carpsan.com/):

5300 Sixth Street, Carpinteria, CA 93013

Phone: (805) 684-7214; Fax: (805) 684-7213


In case of an emergency, please call (805) 684-7214 ext. 5 OR (805) 451-7809

Montecito Water( http://www.montecitowater.com/ ):

Thomas Fire: Customers in need of assistance, please call Customer Service at (805) 969-2271, or send email to info@montecitowater.com.

Montecito Sanitary District ( http://montsan.org/):

1042 Monte Cristo Lane, Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Contact: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, (805) 969-4200; Fax: (805) 969-9049; E-mail concerns or issues to staff@montsan.org.

Emergency Contact Information:

The Sanitary District staff are on call and prepared to respond to sewer related emergencies every day of the year, 24 hours a day.

Holidays and After Hours - (805) 969-4200

If unable get a response at the after-hours number for an emergency, call the Montecito Fire Department at (805) 969-7762.

Assistance for Businesses

Small Business Administration:
The SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to help small businesses and homeowners recover from declared disasters. For information, go to https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance .

California Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development

The Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) was created by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. to serve as California's single point of contact for economic development and job creation efforts. GO-Biz offers a range of services to business owners including attraction, retention and expansion services, site selection, permit assistance, regulatory guidance, small business assistance, international trade development, assistance with state government, and much more. For information and resources, go to http://www.business.ca.gov/.

Santa Barbara County Small Business Development Center (SBDC):
The Santa Barbara County Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is part of the Ventura County EDC-SBDC, the Los Angeles Regional Network, and the national Small Business Administration. We provide individualized consulting and training to new and growing businesses. For information or to schedule a free and confidential consultation, go to http://www.sbcountysbdc.org/ or call (805) 892-3643.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency can provide information about federal assistance programs. By completing an anonymous questionnaire online at https://www.disasterassistance.gov/get-assistance/find-assistance , you will be given a list of potential resources based on your particular situation and needs.

These include:

Disaster Legal Services (available through Department of Homeland Security for low-income disaster survivors) for assistance with:

  • Insurance claims for medical bills, loss of property, loss of life
  • New wills, powers of attorney, and other legal papers lost during the disaster
  • Home-repair contracts and contractors
  • Problems with landlords

Low Interest Loans offered through the Small Business Administration for those with no or insufficient private insurance:

  • up to $200,000 to repair or replace damaged structures
  • up to $40,000 to replace basic possessions

Employment Assistance

Job Services:

The California Employment Development Department ( www.edd.ca.gov) and local partner agencies at all America's Job Center of California locations throughout the state offer a wide variety of employment services, such as job search and referrals, and training. Job seekers and employers can connect with thousands of available job opportunities and qualified candidates through CalJobs, California's online labor exchange system at www.caljobs.ca.gov. To find the nearest America's Job Center of California, visit www.americasjobcenter.ca.gov/ .

Unemployment Benefits:

Workers who lose their jobs due to no fault of their own, such as in the case of a disaster, may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. Eligibility for UI benefits requires that individuals be unemployed or working less than full time, be able to work, be seeking work, and be willing to accept a suitable job. The quickest and easiest way to apply is online. If you already have a UI claim, the best way to reopen your claim is through UI Online. Visit the California Employment Development Department (EDD) website at www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/ways_to_file.htm . UI claims may also be filed via telephone at (800) 300-5616; en español, call (800) 326-8937. For TTY, call (800) 815-9387.

Santa Barbara County Department of Social Services - Job Services:

The Department of Social Services has resources to help you online, in person, or one-on-one with a case manager. Visit online at the CalJOBS website at https://www.caljobs.ca.gov/vosnet/Default.aspx  for useful information and tools for job seekers and employers, such as labor market and career exploration information, resume writing assistance, job posting and recruitment services, and other web-based resources.

You may also visit in person at our One-Stop Workforce Resource Center (WRC). The WRC is a partnership of public, non-profit and community-based organizations. Our mission at the WRC is to provide training, education and employment services for job seekers and employers in a single, customer-friendly system. The WRC is open to any member of the public with locations in Santa Barbara at 130 E. Ortega St, (805) 568-1296; and Santa Maria at 1410 S. Broadway, (805) 614-1550. Both locations are open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

DSS also offers case management, career counseling and training through the Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA) program. If you qualify—and you're willing to make a serious commitment to the program—you may be able to receive comprehensive assessments, career counseling, and referrals or funding for occupational training, on-the-job training, and skill upgrades or re-training. WIOA services are provided through the WRC system and overseen by a 29-member Workforce Development Board (WDB) of local business and community leaders.

General Assistance Programs

CalFresh Program:

If you have been affected by a disaster and are in need of food assistance, you can apply for benefits through CalFresh, a supplemental program that helps limited-income individuals and families buy the food they need in order to stay healthy. Benefits are provided on an electronic card that works like a bank debit card, and can be used to buy food at most grocery stores and markets (including some Farmer's Markets).

Who is eligible for CalFresh? Generally, households must have gross income below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG) and net income (after certain deductions) below 100% of FPG. You must be a citizen or legal resident to receive CalFresh (undocumented individuals are not eligible, but can apply for their children if the children are legal residents or citizens).

There are many myths about CalFresh eligibility for certain populations. If you are a student, senior citizen, immigrant, or former foster youth, please don't assume that you can't qualify: talk to us, or check out these fact sheets .

For information and how to apply, go to http://cosb.countyofsb.org/social_services/default_rt.aspx?id=47164&id2=46573 .


Administered through the Santa Barbara County Department of Social Services, CalWORKs provides cash aid and services to help eligible needy families obtain food, shelter and essentials. For most adults (those who are able to work and not exempt), there is a four-year lifetime limit on CalWORKs cash assistance; and cash assistance is conditional on participation in work activities through the Welfare to Work program (see below). For information about eligibility and to apply, go to http://cosb.countyofsb.org/social_services/default_rt.aspx?id=46531&id2=46532 .

Welfare to Work (WTW):
WTW provides assessment and case management services to assist CalWORKs adults in developing goals and a plan to obtain employment, and provides transitional supportive services such as subsidized child care , transportation assistance, and work- or training-related expenses to address barriers to finding and keeping a job. We will evaluate whether you are required to participate in WTW when CalWORKs is granted, and re-evaluate periodically. If your family is facing exceptional challenges, such as homelessness, domestic violence, addiction, mental health needs, etc., our new Family Advocates can help you obtain services to address those challenges.

Senior and Disabled Adult Services
The California Department of Aging contracts with and provides leadership and direction to Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) that coordinate a wide array of services to seniors and adults with disabilities. You can locate an AAA in your area by calling (800) 510-2020; TDD (800) 735-2929 or visit the website at http://www.aging.ca.gov/ProgramsProviders/AAA/AAA_Listing.aspx .

Social Security
For information on applying for social security benefits, survivor benefits, or for assistance expediting the delivery of your check delayed by the disaster, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) automated telephone services at (800) 772-1213, or TTY/TDD for hearing or speech impaired (800) 325-0778. To speak to a representative, call between 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. (PST) Monday through Friday. Information and services can also be found at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/emergency .

Veterans Assistance

California County Veterans Service Officers:

The County Veterans Service Officers (CVSO) plays a critical role in the Veteran's advocacy system and is often the initial contact in the community for Veterans' services. The CVSO is committed to providing a vital and efficient system of local services and advocacy to Veterans, their dependents and survivors. To find the nearest CVSO, call (844) 737-8838 or visit the website at www.cacvso.org/county-contacts .

California Department of Veterans Affairs:
If you have a home loan with the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) and your home suffered structural damage caused by a disaster, contact a CalVet Claims Adjuster at (800) 626-1613. This line is open 24 hours a day. For more information, go to www.CalVet.ca.gov.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:
If you need information regarding VA health care, death benefits, pensions, disability claims, or other information related to VA, contact the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) at (800) 827-1000, TDD Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at (800) 829-4833, or visit the Inquiry Routing and Information System (IRIS) website at https://iris.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1703 .

Santa Barbara County Veterans Services:
Santa Barbara County provides assistance to the community of Veterans in applying for, obtaining, and maintaining all available benefits and entitlements to which they may be eligible. The Veterans Services Program is administered through the office of the Treasurer-Tax Collector-Public Administrator with three offices located in Santa Barbara, Santa Maria and Lompoc. For information about all resources and benefits, go to http://countyofsb.org/ttcpapg/vets/index.aspx# .

Animal Assistance

Evacuated & Sheltered Animals During Thomas Fire:

About 1,600 animals were sheltered in Santa Barbara as a result of the Thomas Fire, including a chinchilla, horses, mini horses, goats, llamas and alpacas, dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, ducks, guinea pigs, a water monitor, and two reindeer. If you have questions, contact Santa Barbara County Animal Services at (805) 681-4332 or the appropriate agency listed below. We would like to thank and recognize the efforts of these groups for their assistance and boundless love and care for the animals.

Santa Barbara Humane Society: (805) 964-4777, https://www.sbhumanesociety.org/

Santa Barbara County Animal Services: Hotline: (805) 681-4332,
Goleta: 5473 Overpass Rd., Goleta 93111, (805) 681-5285
Lompoc: 1501 West Central Ave., Lompoc 93436, (805) 737-7755

Earl Warren Show Grounds: (805) 687-0766, 3400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara 93105

California Department of Fish & Wildlife ( https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Living-with-Wildlife ):

The Mission of the Department of Fish and Wildlife is to manage California's diverse fish, wildlife, and plant resources, and the habitats upon which they depend, for their ecological values and for their use and enjoyment by the public.

Services CDFW Does NOT Provide
CDFW does not remove small backyard wildlife such as opossums under houses, squirrels in attics, raccoons in the walls or rattlesnakes in your garage, etc. You may contact a pest management company for assistance. They also do not remove predators or destructive wildlife, but will issue a depredation permit. Domestic animals such as livestock, wild dogs or feral cats are under the jurisdiction of local government. Call Santa Barbara County Animal Services (listed above) for information and assistance. CDFW does not handle insect and arachnid problems. You may contact a pest management company for assistance.

Agriculture Assistance

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) offered through the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency makes payments to producers of eligible crops when there have been low yields or loss of inventory due to a natural disaster.

Santa Barbara County Agricultural Commissioner's Office:
For updated information on Grower Assistance Workshops for those agricultural producers impacted by the Thomas Fire, visit the County Agricultural Commissioner's Office website Thomas Fire Agricultural Assistance at http://cosb.countyofsb.org/agcomm/agcomm.aspx?id=53992 .

The Agricultural Commissioner is responsible for collecting confidential loss report information for natural disasters that affect agriculture. That information is used by other local, state and federal agencies to provide services, such as recovery assistance, to the agricultural community. If you were impacted by the Thomas Fire, please complete an Agricultural Disaster Loss Survey Form found at the link above and e-mail the form to thomasfire@agcommissioner.com .

USDA Farm Services Agency (FSA):
USDA offers disaster assistance and low-interest loan programs to assist agricultural producers in their recovery efforts following wildfires or other qualifying natural disasters. For information on available programs and loans, go to http://www.fsa.usda.gov/disaster .

USDA National Resource Conservation Services (NRCS):
NRCS sources opportunities to help California Producers rebuild and recover from the recent wildfires. For information, go to http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/newsroom/releases/?cid=NRCSEPRD1360019 . Information on available programs can be found at http://www.usda.gov/.

University California Cooperative Extension (UCCE):

UCCE offers information on wildfire resources/assistance for the public and for agricultural producers. Wildfire resources for agricultural producers can be found at http://cesantabarbara.ucanr.edu/Fire_information/ . Wildfire resources for the public can be found at http://ucanr.edu/.


Interactive Map showing the daily hiostory of evacuation zones from December 6 though December 19, 2017

County of Santa Barbara Thomas Fire Evacuation Press Releases: December 6 to December 19, 2017 (full packet in PDF format)