Pesticide Consumer Resources

 Pest Control Business License Lookup - Any business or person advertising, soliciting or performing pest control for hire is required to be licensed by the State and registered with each County where they perform pest control. This includes agricultural pest control business, maintenance gardening businesses and structural pest control companies.

  • If you are interested in hiring an agricultural pest control business or a maintenance gardening business to perform pest control services for you, you can determine if they are licensed by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation by looking them up here .
  • If you are interested in hiring a structural pest control company to perform pest control services for you, you can determine if they are licensed by the California Structural Pest Control Board by looking them up here .
  • If you want to know if any pest control company is registered to perform pest control in Santa Barbara County, call your local office.

 DPR Pesticide Residue Monitoring Program -The Department of Pesticide Regulation samples individual lots of domestic and imported produce and analyzes them for pesticide residues to enforce the tolerances set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Samples are collected from throughout the channels of trade, including wholesale and retail outlets, distribution centers, and farmers markets. DPR Enforcement Branch staff collects the samples, and delivers them to a California Department of Food and Agriculture laboratory where all are tested with multi-residue screens capable of detecting more than 200 pesticides and breakdown products. In addition, selected samples receive specific analysis for non-screenable pesticides of enforcement concern.

Check out the Pesticide Residue Monitoring Program to find out more.

 DPR Databases - The Department of Pesticide Regulation has a number of collections of data and other information related to pesticide registration, licensing, pesticide use, environmental effects, enforcement, and other elements of their program. Major online databases and datasets are listed here . Some can be queried and searched directly. Others can be downloaded and the data manipulated with your own database or spreadsheet software. Other datasets are reports they periodically generate from databases not online.

 DPR Pesticide Use Reporting Database - California's pesticide use reporting program is recognized as the most comprehensive in the world. In 1990, California became the first state to require full reporting of agricultural pesticide use in response to demands for more realistic and comprehensive pesticide use data. Under the program, all agricultural pesticide use must be reported monthly to county agricultural commissioners, who in turn, report the data to the Department of Pesticide Regulation.

California has a broad legal definition of "agricultural use" so the reporting requirements include pesticide applications to parks, golf courses, cemeteries, rangeland, pastures, and along roadside and railroad rights-of-way. In addition, all postharvest pesticide treatments of agricultural commodities must be reported along with all pesticide treatments in poultry and fish production as well as some livestock applications. The primary exceptions to the reporting requirements are home-and-garden use and most industrial and institutional uses.

You can use the Pesticide Use Database to download complete pesticide use by year from 1974 to present. You will also find annual data summaries, indexed by chemical or by commodity. The summaries include analyses of pesticide use trends and are available from 1989 to present.

 DPR List of Pesticides Products Prohibited from Use in Schools and Childcare Facilities - Also known as the AB 405 list, this list provides users with product names and US EPA registration numbers of pesticides that are not allowed for use in schools and child care facilities. The list is updated quarterly.